Eurythmy: A in Action
Forming Soil: Staying receptive and becoming grounded.
8 Exercises on level 2, duration 14 minutes, with pause and possible rest.
With the eurythmic A exercises (A pronounced as in Answer) you learn to remain open, become grounded and create a stable nourishing base for yourself. The texts to the exercises may be found at the bottom of this page.
Questions to the eurythmy exercises
B2 Try to take the following into account when doing the “A with bent knees” exercise:
- Staying upright when bending the knees helps to connect to the earth with your heart.
- Relaxing your pelvis and diaphragm lets you sink deeper into your body, feeling deeper into the earth.
- Putting a little bit of tension in the arms and consciously straightening them helps you get the feeling of reaching further down.
- Putting the arms slightly backwards intensifies the uprightness of the body and the experience of its strength .
- Maintaining tension in the arms when coming up helps to keep contact with your anchor points in the ground.
C2 Which method do you use to experience the in-streaming quality of the A-Gesture and being brought back on your heels?
- In building the A-gesture, I first try to reach out with my arms as far as possible.
- Then I actively pull my arms slightly back towards my shoulder blades.
- When building up the A-gesture, I go forward on my toes. Then I try to feel an incoming stream in my arms and in my body which brings me back on my heels.
D2 In the «H with the shoulder blades» exercise:
- Do you manage to create a sensation of lightness and of becoming bigger just by carefully lifting the shoulder blades?
- Be aware that the following can help to achieve this:
- support the feeling of becoming bigger by lifting the shoulders actively for a little while.
- relax the body but remain very attentive in the shoulders
- let your breath react to what you do with your shoulders
- Don’t worry that:
- the feeling of constantly getting bigger
- letting go the shoulder blades
- and relaxing the body
is in some way a contradiction and difficult to achieve. Stay relaxed! The effect is brought about by the attempt rather than by the physical completion of the movement.
G2 Can you experience that the exercise “A-H towards the back” followed by “H-A downwards”:
- is similar to the physiological process of memory building?
- Taking in an impression from the outside (A), forgetting it (H) and – when you need it (H) – remembering it again (A)
A2a The right column leads forwards
Stand upright and perceive your right column. Activate a sensation in your head of walking forward and take your right leg along with it. Come back to the center and repeat the exercise. The head initiates the step.
A2b The left column leads backwards
Take a step backwards with your left leg and allow the head to follow. Come back to the center and repeat the exercise. The leg takes the head along.
B2 A with bent knees
Perceive your center. Place one foot to the right and the other to the left then stream down into the earth from the center of your heart. Bending the legs forward slightly, anchor your fingertips in the depths. Stretch the legs slowly without losing the anchorage. Experience the energy you gain from there.
C2 A streaming in
Form the A-gesture and ray through your arms so that you have the impression of reaching the circumference. Try to feel how nourishing forces stream into your body from all sides. Try doing this gesture in different directions.
Supportive Video: The basic gesture of A
D2 Shoulder-blade parachute
Feel yourself getting bigger and bigger and allow the shoulders to be taken along. Then let the shoulders drop down whilst retaining their size and feel the streaming down from the shoulder blades.
E2 H from above to below
Send the arms high up again and wait there until you feel an answer coming from above. Take it up and stream down into the earth with this.
F2 H-A below
Become wide, lift the shoulders, and drop them. In taking up the in-streaming A, take note that the quality of the H is still palpable in A.
G2 A-H - H-A behind and below
We combine the A-H exercise with the H-A exercise. Take a step forwards and repeat.